(Job ID# ASM21WT246)
Company: Analytical Services & Materials, Inc. Hampton, VA 23666
Analytical Services and Materials, Inc. (AS&M) has an immediate opening for a full-time Wind Tunnel Safety Systems Engineer (also functioning as Facility Safety Head) to work at NASA Langley Research Center (LaRC), Hampton, VA. The candidate must be able to quickly become familiar with all aspects of the operation of a large high-speed wind tunnel complex and perform all duties related to a Facility Safety Head (FSH) position. This facility assesses conventional performance for high-speed tests of powered and unpowered models of various fixed-wing civil and military aircraft, missiles, rockets, and capsules in supersonic flight conditions. In addition to testing operations, one must become familiar with the tunnel plant systems which include large compressors, vacuum pumps, and drive motors, in addition to smaller support equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
High-speed wind-tunnel operations responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Employing systems engineering techniques that result in the safe operation of the facility, to preclude facility and test article damage and/or injury to personnel;
- Maintaining configuration control of all facility systems;
- Review and approve all facility designs & modifications, test procedures, and revisions;
- Approve training records and the facility resume;
- Provide control of safety interlock systems;
- Conduct monthly safety meetings and quarterly inspections;
- Represent facility to NASA and contractor safety programs;
- Monitor and ensure the proper use of safety permits when necessary;
- Maintain the facility laser certifications;
- Work with the facility environmental coordinator to ensure compliance with policies; and
- Potentially serve as the alternate FSH for one or more other test facilities at LaRC.
The test facility often requires the use of specific systems, media, and test techniques to produce one-off approaches to solve complex problems associated with model integration, measurement application, and operational configurations. Safety must be integrated into all operations, which may utilize these and other systems:
- High-pressure air;
- High-pressure gases;
- Large air vacuum systems
- High-pressure hydraulic systems
- High voltage, both AC and DC;
- Pressurized quartz lamps; and
- High energy laser-based measurement systems
Qualifications and Experience:
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance as required.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- BS degree from an accredited engineering school and five (5) to eight (8) years of related engineering experience, or an MS degree and four (4) to six (6) years of related engineering experience, or a Ph.D. degree and two (2) to four (4) years of related experience.
- Strong background in facility system safety and in mechanical and electrical system analysis required.
- Familiarity with aeronautics, NASA operations, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), Root Cause Analysis, personnel training, and configuration management desired.
- Visual and physical (hands-on) contact of test-related systems, hardware, and articles.
- Must be able to walk, stand, bend, twist, and sit for extended periods as well as climb, crawl, and lift up to 35 lbs).
- Ability to distinguish basic colors.
- Corrected vision and hearing at all times.
- Must be able to use the following (with appropriate training/certifications and personal protective equipment provided)
- Platform or A-frame ladders up to 12 Ft.
- Extension ladders up to 24 Ft.
- Personal or one-man aerial lifts up to 30 Ft.
- Articulating or boom aerial lifts up to 35 Ft.
- Regular attendance mandatory (100%).
- Occasional overtime/work outside the normal schedule may be required (<20%).
How to Apply?
Details about the company are available at http://www.asm-usa.com
AS&M employment application form can be downloaded from here.
AS&M is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
“All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.”